My Thoughts on Megaman's "Death"



I gave a thought on Capcom's treatment of the Megaman franchise as of late.  I mean, the Megaman franchise is what really helped launch Capcom into popularity aside from games like Street Fighter and Resident Evil.  As a Megaman fan, I feel like the Megaman franchise has suddenly come to a halt as Keiji Inafune is no longer in Capcom.  The upsetting facts were this- Megaman Legends 3 got cancelled, Megaman Universe got cancelled and he wasn't included in Marvel vs. Capcom 3- instead Zero was put in his place which truly can be upsetting.  So I just gave a thought on it.

First- Megaman is not truly dead.  Why?  Capcom can still reproduce the past Megaman games like they did with the Megaman Anniversary Collection, well hopefully there will be a Megaman Legends collection (the PSP has them for download) and the Megaman X series collection.  However the fans are upset over the cancellation of Megaman Legends 3 which according to Capcom Europe there was quite not enough fan interest.  I had my thoughts on that I was upset on Megaman Legends 3 being cancelled myself being a rabid Megaman fan.

However I had my thoughts also on the fact that making "too many" Megaman games can be a bad idea.  I even thought that without any knowledge what to do, Megaman 9 and 10 were created as downloadable games instead using the NES graphics instead of the Megaman X type graphics for the PS1 which I find really irritating.  I mean, it had to progress forward not backward.  Of course, for right now what Capcom could do is to focus on making a new Megaman game like an RPG, the third Legends game or spin off the original line of Megaman similar to Megaman X Command Mission... but taking time to create them would be the only way to "revive" the franchise in my opinion.  Otherwise, Megaman can end up having some really bad games like what happened to Sonic as of late with "Sonic Unleashed" which for me wasn't a good game compared to Sonic Heroes.

Suddenly I also thought of this:

To the fans who truly still care, I suggest you be happy with what you’ve had and celebrate the series as it was rather than wish for it to continue past its prime. At least this way, the memories are preserved instead of trodden on through weird spin-off titles from a company that no longer knows what to do with him.

For me, Capcom should try to utilize Megaman in other ways like they did in adding him in Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, etc. which for me were the best moments of Megaman in a non-Megaman game.

Here's an article I'm currently thinking of:


http://www.gamesradar.com/mega-man-is-dead-and-why-thats-a-good-thing/

Comments