It's Not Wrong For Modern People To Enjoy Golden Oldies!


It's a misconception that you must only enjoy anything of your generation which is just stupid.  Why do I think that is so?  I always thought of how certain people say that I'm "baduy" which can be translated as "out of fashion" because I always enjoy classical music.  I am the type of person who can chill out with listening to the classical pieces of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Johann Strauss, Frederick Chopin, George Frederick Handel, Johann Sebastian Bach and Richard Wagner are among a few.  Classical music was never meant to be enjoyed at just one era but for all ages.


If you want to know how I even got into golden oldies, it was thanks to modern films.  I always felt like Meteor Garden and other Chinese films provide a gateway of the past.  It's funny how watching the 2001 version of Romance in the Rain actually got me interested with the classic Qiong Yao series.  Yes, I personally am not all that used to seeing Liu Xuehua and Qin Han in the leading roles considering I saw the former only in her later years.  The 2001 remake of Romance in the Rain featured a lot of songs both modern and oldie blended in so beautifully.  Most notably, my favorite is "Wang Shi Nan Wang" or ""Unforgettable" which is based on the golden oldie "Long Long Ago" which is a song written so last 1883 but it still creates an effect.

An old film is not necessarily a bad one.  I would admit I usually prefer modern films but hey, some modern films are just garbage.  For example, the best films in Filipino cinema were usually the older ones.  I usually preferred the chemistry of Christopher De Leon and Vilma Santos-Recto together with the quality writing back then.  When it came to Chinese films, I didn't imagine myself actually getting interested with Qin Han's drama series and movies where he usually starred alongside Brigitte Lin (for movies) and later Liu Xue Hua (for series).

When I think of it, I started comparing the chemistry of Qin Han and Liu Xue Hua with Jerry Yan and Barbie Xu-Wang.  I always felt like watching old movies and new ones might be helpful in developing a more valid constructive criticism.  It sort of reminds me of Doug Walker a.k.a. the Nostalgia Critic or other critics who use past and present to compare quality.  Any good critic tries to develop an open mind and I hope I develop a more open mind as I become a critic in some way.

My point is... something cool does not easily lose its coolness that even later generations can really enjoy them.  Like do you know why Playstation Network re-releases old games for download?  It's because a cool game does not easily lose its coolness.  When I first had my PS2, I ended up thinking I want to replay my old games again so fortunately there was backward compatibility.  Now the PS2 is so last generation, I am glad that some companies are considerate enough to re-release the old games in a collector's disk or for download (I prefer disks).  So enjoy any golden oldies you can enjoy... it's still worth it!

Comments